Summer Subway Outdoor Wall Art + Vertical Gardening Update

I have an empty space on the outside of my house that everyone sees. I wanted a fun summer piece to put up there.   Pretty boring, huh?  I liked the idea of a fun piece of summer subway art, but how would I get it to  work outside?  I could mod podge it to a piece of plywood I painted.  That could act as a frame. Then I could spray lots and lots of layers of clear coat to seal it real well.  I thought for the 6.00 to print the subway art, it was worth a try.

I created this summer subway art. The cute little bunting can be found here.  I had it printed at Sam’s for 5.96.

You can download a 16×20 copy here:
First I  cut a piece of plywood 18″x22″.  I sanded the edges a little and then spray painted it Blue Lagoon.  I sprayed the edges really good and about 11/2″ all the way around and then a light coat in the center which wasn’t really necessary since it doesn’t show.

Next I mod podged the subway art and applied it to the plywood.

Once dry, I sprayed several coats of  Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating over the whole thing.

Once it’s dry add a picture hanger to the back and hang.

I also wanted to show you a picture of my Vertical Succulent Gardening project now that it has filled in.  I originally had designed it to hang where I put my subway art, but it was waaaaaaaaaay too heavy to do that. So, I put it on the bench my handy hubby built for me.

You can download a 16×20 copy of the summer subway art here:

Pin It

Thanks for stopping by. I’d love to have you follow along and subscribe to my RSS Feed or sign up to receive daily Emails delivered to your inbox . You can also follow along via Facebook.

Comments

Hi BarbThanks for visiting my little blog project and leaving such a nice comment about my water feature. I smiled as I read the title to this post – a subway art piece AND a vertical garden on my wish list for this summer. I'll be doing my art a bit differently as it will be a permanent fixture – I'm stencilling the names of all the cities and countries we've visited throughout the years together. Should be fun.

2. Tani@Tagana Rose says

Hi Barb- these all look sooooooo delicious!!!Thank you for the kind comment on our blog!!

What a beautiful porch, I love the poster, it looks so good and is so bright and colorful. Thanks so much for linking, I love to see the lovely ways you spruce up your home!

4. Carri says

Barb, First you had me at your quote at the top of your blog… I LOVE IT!! and then your succulent garden is to die for… I am so loving it.. and want to make one so much….you'll have to tell me how you did it. Your summer sign is adorable… Thanks so much for linking up to the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY….I'm your newest follower…Thanks again Carrisimplydonewright.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for linking this up to The Fun In Functional! I love the summer subway art, those are awesome things to keep in mind for summer! And the succulent garden looks great!

Those are SO cute! Love the "late nights and sleeping in!" That's why summertime is the greatest! :) Thanks for linking up with us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you next week! -The Sisters

This sign is so cute! I love it! I'm your newest bloglovin and twitter follower. I'd love a follow back at gloriouslymade.blogspot.com.Have a great day,Deanna

Thanks for the download! I may just have to do this for my back porch! I have a piece of plywood and a can of Lagoon spray paint (my favorite at the moment)! I even have the mod podge in my craft stash! I think the only thing I'd have to purchase is the sealer! Woohoo! I see a weekend project (possibly NOT this weekend, though) in my future! I adore your succulent garden as well! So pretty and creative! I'll be adding you to twitter and my reading list! I'd love for you to visit me Under the Big Oak Tree

I’d love to have you follow along. You can subscribe to my RSS Feed or sign up to receive daily Emails delivered to your inbox . You can also follow along viaFacebookGoogle + or .Twitter.
 photo 6c171ce1-4af5-4786-9353-d0a314977306_zps33457fd0.png  photo bae60660-50e7-45e6-9c17-a53e8753efea_zps5024667b.png  photo 1a86bab8-912d-4b1b-9892-458838d27749_zps4ad0cd2c.png  photo 9b3bc365-aa5f-4a48-97e5-6944aa3c3c20_zpsc491703e.png  photo f5061e53-07f9-4890-a947-3e0713a4387a_zps1a72baae.png  photo 12810623-e0ac-4f6a-b2e3-7de6fe00fe0d_zpse5871500.png  photo 66f07623-e3bd-451a-ab38-049c3b4192b3_zps4fb529e0.png