DIY Sunburst Mirror

Today, I’m sharing another DIY project I did for the Life of a Not So Ordinary Housewife, a DIY Sunburst Mirror.  We are in the process of redoing our guest bathroom so I wanted to make this for that room.   But, I have it sitting in my kitchen right now and not sure I want to give it  up.  I like it in there. Anyway, I’ll get to the task at hand.  Read on …..
These are  the supplies you need.
small shims- I used 4 bags.
acrylic paint in your choice of colors
paint brush- I use foam ones
7 in. mirror
Glue
cardboard. I used a recycled pizza round
glass tiles

Decide on your paint colors and paint your shims. I used two colors.  I let some of the wood show through.
 While the shims are drying take your mirror and glue it in the middle of your round pizza cardboard.
Start by laying all your shims in place.  Getting the arrangement that you want. You will be placing the shims up against the mirror. I know this is a bad picture but it’s the only one I have that shows how I placed the bottom layer.  So please bear with my lack of photographic skills.
Next step is  add a shim in between each of the bottom layer.  Once you have them where you want them glue them into place.
It should look like this after you have  glued them into place.
Cut your glass tiles into strips.  I used 3 rows of glass tiles for my mirror.  Make sure you cut all the mesh away from the tile.  You don’t want any mesh showing since we aren’t using grout.
Lay them into place at the edge of the mirror.  Once they are in the position you want them to be glue them down.
You are now done!!!  A quick, easy piece of DIY art.    I sat mine on a shelf so didn’t add a hanger, but if and when I do I’ll use a Command hook (nope, no affiliation with them)

Have you done a Starburst Mirror?  If so, what have you used to make it with?

Pin It

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Becoming MarthaAloha Friday Blog Hop

Saturday:
Thanks for stopping by. I’d love to have you follow along and subscribe to my RSS Feed or sign up to receive daily Emails delivered to your inbox . You can also follow along via Facebook.

Comments

1. Crystal says

I love this!! I'm putting it on my spring To Do list. I especially love the touch of the small tiles. I haven't seen that before. Love it!!

2. Oklahomaredhead says

Love this, but I have one quick question. did you put something under the mirror before you glued it onto the cardboard? Just wondering how you got the shims to fit under the mirror if it wasn't slight raised.

3. Rose :: Fine Craft G says

Amazing how some of the better crafts are really easy! What a happy mirror. Thank you for sharing this at the 'Time for a party'-linky, at the Fine Craft Guild, Barb!

4. Nicole says

Found you on Whip it Up Wednesday. I love this! If I ever get around to making one (because I really do love it!) I think I'd even use the same colors you did. So great!

5. MaytagNMom says

A sunburst mirror is something I've always WANTED to try, but haven't yet. Examples like this darling one (lovin' the glass titles too- that added "punch") make me wanna take the plunge. You make it look so EASY!Thanks for sharing :)Happy Easter Coming soon and it's always great to see creative minds at work. :)Visiting from KEEP CALM LINK UP @ Becoming Martha linky partySmiles,Suz @MaytagNMomNW Illinois Link To My Party Project This Week

6. Leslie @ Violet Impe says

Beautiful and easy to make! What a fabulous idea!Thanks for sharing your favorite post at Raising Imperfection! We feature our favorites on Friday, make sure to come back and check.Leslie

Hi there! I LOVE the colors you used! So pretty. I made one using a dollar store mirror, bbq skewers and spray paint. I'm actually making a second one for my sister. It's a fun project, cheap and once done makes a big impact on a wall.

I never would've thought of the shims! I've seen bamboo skewers, paint stirrers, straws, but never shims! I also love the tile accent – so pretty! Pinned via PinMe Link Party!Thanks!Kim

9. Leslie Stewart says

I'm loving your mirror! Thanks for sharing it at my party. Stop by House on the Way tomorrow to see it featured! Be sure to grab a "featured" button too.LeslieHouse on the Way