My family loves Christmas traditions. We have a lot of them. One of them is every Christmas morning my husband and kids wake up to a hot breakfast casserole that I prepare ahead of time. Last year I made 3 different kinds (we have a BIG family}. This year I wanted to add some muffins to the mix and so created these Grape Nuts® Cherry Pecan Streusel Muffins. I can make them ahead and freeze them and pull them out of the freezer with the casseroles.
I ran across a recipe that was made with Grape Nuts®, bananas and walnuts but I decided I would love to use Cherries and Pecans my favorite. I printed this Grape Nuts® cereal coupon and was at Target and picked up a box. My husband was thrilled because Grape Nuts® are his very favorite cereal.
- 1 c Grape Nuts original cereal
- 1 c Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter,melted
- 1/2 c Canola Oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c chopped pecans with 12 whole ones for garnishing tops
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 c of brown sugar
- 1/2 c of flour
- 1/4 c of cold butter
- Heat oven to 400^. Spray 12-16 regular size muffin wells--(cupcake pan);with no stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the cereal and milk,mix slightly-then set aside for 15 min.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder,baking soda,cinnamon, brown sugar and salt.
- To the cereal /milk bowl add the egg and beat with a spoon. Stir in the oil,vanilla, melted butter and nuts.
- Stir your wet mixture into the flour mixture.
- Spoon batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins, fill each cup almost to the top.
- Mix your streusel ingredients together in a bowl. Place a teaspoon on top of each cup and add a pecan to each one.
- Bake 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- You could substitute 3 overripe smashed bananas and 1/2 c walnuts for the cherries and walnuts.
I have them made and in the freezer for Christmas morning. I do have to say I cheated and had to taste them. They were so good I ate two of them, but shhhhh don’t tell anyone.
This year Santa just might get a bowl of Grape Nuts® Cereal instead of cookies. It is his favorite after all!
Another Christmas tradition we have is to watch a movie, either at home or the movie theater. I want to let you know that the kids movie SING© will be in theaters on Dec. 21. It is a great family movie.
When you are purchasing your Grape Nuts® cereal make sure you enter the SING© Movie Sweepstakes to win $100,000 grand prize plus the chance to instantly win lots of prizes including movie tickets, speakers and more.
Celebrate The Holidays with The #SINGMovie & Grape Nuts® Cereal
“NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Promotion starts 11/1/16 at 12:00 PM (noon) ET and ends 3/31/2017 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Open only to legal residents of the 50 US/DC, 18 years of age or older. See Official Rules for instructions on how to enter, how to obtain codes without purchase, prize details, restrictions, odds of winning, etc. Void where prohibited by law. Sponsor: Post Consumer Brands, LLC.”